Readers, today is a special day for you to concentrate on reading this article about 10 best south Indian food.
- South Indian foods are mainly popular for their taste and flavour.
- It also nourishes the body.
- Provides good digestion.
- Even people at the global and national level, prefer eating and enjoying such south Indian foods.
Here, a list of top 10 Best South Indian Food is given below.
- A famous delicious breakfast food item.
- A traditional breakfast consumed by south Indians.
- People who give preference for taste enjoy eating dosas.
- Made out of fermented rice and lentils.
- Types of dosas-masala dosa, Rava dosa, ghee dosa, paper roast, egg dosa, etc.
- Served with sambar and all types of chutney.
How to make dosa batter? (video):
- A famous south Indian dish enjoyed by people across the world.
- Prepare a dosa batter by soaking rice, lentils, and urad dhal overnight.
- Grind them to form a batter.
- Fermented batter is spread on a dosa stone in thin layers.
- Add oil or ghee to make it a little more crispy and tasty.
- Once the dosa is ready, the masala stuffing is filled in the central part of the prepared dosa.
- Masalastuffing-prepared with boiled potatoes and seasoned with green chilli and mustard seeds.
- You can garnish it by using lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Served with sambar and varied types of chutney.
Onion Rava Dosa
- A delicious recipe (TamilNadu).
- Main Ingredient-Semolina.
- Prepared with a batter of rice flour, semolina, and water.
- Highly flavoured with cardamom seeds, asafoetida, carrot, black pepper, curry leaves, diced onion, salt, etc.
- Mix all the ingredients and pour them in heated Tava or dosa stone.
- Ghee is sprinkled and cooked for two minutes.
- Served with coconut chutney and sambar.
For Podi dosa, ghee dosa, and onion dosa:
- Stick on to the same procedure but change the stuffing depending upon the type of dosas made.
- If you feel that it’s too oily and crispy(unhealthy), you can very easily make dosas without adding oil or ghee to it.
- A small white spongey cake.
- It is otherwise called steamed rice cakes.
- It is soft, fluffy, and ivory coloured.
- South Indian families eat it for breakfast.
- Idlies-light and mild tasting.
- Prepare a fermented batter of rice and lentils.
- Steam them in little circular moulds by using an idly cooker or idly vessel.
- The resulting spherical rice cakes are idlies.
- A breakfast item.
- Main ingredient-semolina.
- Heat two teaspoon ghee or oil in a pan.
- Add sooji or rava and roast it until aromatic.
- Keep it aside.
- Pour another teaspoon of oil and fry cashew nuts in the same pan.
- Add the fried nuts to the roasted Rava.
- Now, in the same pan add one teaspoon of oil and sprinkle mustard seeds.
- As soon as the mustard seeds start bursting, add little chana dhal, asafoetida, and curry leaves.
- Fry all these for few minutes.
- Add this mix to the rava prepared.
- Form a smooth paste.
- Add yoghurt with ginger, green chillies, and salt for flavour.
- Keep it aside for half an hour.
- Prepare the idly in a steamer.
- Cook for 10 minutes and serve hot with sambar and coconut chutney.
- This food item is highly healthy since the steamed cakes are prepared without adding any oil or ghee.
- So, it is normally taken as morning breakfast and night dinner.
- Another common south Indian dish(TamilNadu, Karnataka, and Kerala).
- A breakfast dish -cylinder-shaped(steamed rice cake).
- Prepared with rice flour and coconut.
- It is very tasty.
- It is consumed with sweet black coffee.
- Fill up a big vessel with rice flour.
- Add water and salt to form a smooth paste.
- Add two cups of water to the bottom of the puttu maker vessel.
- Allow the puttu maker vessel to simmer till it becomes hot.
- Place the round perforated disc with holes inside the puttu maker vessel to fit well at the bottom of the mould.
- Place a layer of grated coconut at the bottom of the puttu maker by using the puttu making bowl.
- Next, add nearly six tablespoons of puttu powder.
- Place the lid over the puttu mold and place the mold over the bottom part of the puttu maker vessel.
- Allow it to cook for nearly five minutes.
- Serve hot puttu with fruits like jack fruit, mango, plantain, and chickpea curry.
- It is also another healthy food to be consumed since oil or ghee is not added for its preparation.
- It is only a boiled rice cake.
Also Read: Top 5 Best Delhi Street Food
- A traditional Karnataka food.
- Served in all Kannadiga’s families.
- A rice-based dish cooked with vegetables and Toor dhal.
- Served hot with boondi, papad, salad, potato chips, and chutney.
- This dish is generally found in restaurants serving Udupi cuisine.
- Rice and Toor dhal – pressure cooked.
- Prepare Bisibelebhath powder separately.
- Fry tomatoes, brinjal, green chillies, carrots, beans, garlic, cloves, and potatoes separately in a pan.
- Add needed spices and tamarind pulp.
- Mix the fried vegetables with cooked rice and dhal.
- Stir all the ingredients.
- Finally, season and serve.
- Bisibelebath powder is also available in the market and departmental stores.
- Another delicious and tasty south Indian dish.
- A fried chicken mixed with spicy flavours.
- Wash and clean 250 grams of chicken.
- Add chilli powder, cornflour, 1/2 cup of lemon juice, salt, etc to the chicken.
- Stir it well and leave it aside for 30 minutes.
- Take a pan.
- Pour oil. Heat the oil.
- Add the soaked chicken into the oil and fry it till it turns brown.
- Now, your chicken 65 is ready. Serve it with ringed onions and sliced lemon.
- You can also add chicken 65 masala powder which is available in the market/departmental stores/shopping malls.
- A very famous and loved dish of Indians.
- A Best South Indian Food.
- Various types of Biryani-mutton, chicken, vegetable, prawn, fish, etc.
- Soak the rice(basmati or jeera samba rice )for 20-30 minutes.
- Salute main coarse spices in oil followed by onions.
- Fry chillies and ginger garlic paste.
- Next, add vegetables like carrot, potato, and beans and boil them.
- Add Biryani masala.
- Mix the half-boiled vegetables with rice and leave it till it is cooked.
For Non-Veg Biryani:
- Stick on to the same procedure, but instead of vegetables any of the non-veg items like mutton, chicken, prawns, etc can be added with basmati or jeera samba rice.
- Biryani prepared with jeera samba rice is more healthy.
- It won’t get spoilt soon.
- Non-veg biryani is more tasty and delicious compared to vegetable biryani.
- So, many biryani lovers prefer preparing non-veg biryani rather than vegetable biryani.
7)VADAI(Best South Indian Food)
- A fried breakfast snack or evening Tiffin eaten with coffee or tea.
- It is made using legumes paste such as chickpea, pigeon pea, and urad mung, etc.
- Types of vadais -masala vadai, keerai vadai, and medhu vadas.
- Served with sambar and coconut chutneys.
- Otherwise known as “Aamai Vadai”(Tamil).
- Masala Vadai is prepared with toor dhal.
- Form a batter of soaked Toor dhal.
- Next, add different vegetables such as mint leaves, coriander, chilies, spring onions, and onions to the soaked Toor dhal batter.
- Use a frying saucer to give a rough shape and deep fry them.
- It is served with green mint chutney or coconut chutney.
- Very popular and sold in small tea stalls and college canteens.
- Healthy and nutritious.
- Has a lot of spinach in it.
- Make a mixture by grinding soaked chenna dhal with Toor dhal.
- Add chopped spinach leaves to the mixture.
- For high flavour, add grated ginger, onions, green chillies, etc.
- Mix the ingredients with a certain quantity of water, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Use a frying saucer to give them a rough shape and deep fry them in the oil.
- Serve with dry chilli chutney.
- Medhu means”soft” in Kannada.
- They are soft inside and crispy outside.
- Soak the black lentils in water for many hours before frying.
- For flour, add curry leaves, methi seeds, green chillies, and black pepper.
- Give a doughnut shape to the batter and deep fry it in oil.
- Serve hot with sambar and coconut chutney.
- A famous Tamil Nadu curry dish.
- Served as a side dish for rice.
- Main ingredients-vegetables and tamarind.
- Other types of vathakuzhambu-mor kuzhambu, poondu kuzhambu, and kara kara kuzhambu.
- Heat a pan with oil and mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds start bursting, add Toor dhal, curry leaves, tamarind juice, and red chilli powder.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Add chopped onion, tomato, turkey berry, and spices.
- Stir well and eat it for twenty minutes.
- Serve hot with rice, papad, and potato chips.
- A curry dish high in nutritional values.
9)PAZHAM PORI(Best South Indian Food)
- Ripe banana fritters.
- A favourite snack enjoyed by Keralites.
- It is also known as “Ethakka Appam”.
- It is a deep-fried banana dish served in many hotels, hostel canteens, railway platforms, roadside snacks stalls in Kerala.
- For batter preparation, add maida, cumin, sugar, turmeric, rice flour, salt, and water.
- Cut the riped bananas into slices.
- Dip them in the prepared batter.
- Preheat the oil in a pan and deeply fry each banana slices separately.
- Cook till you see the crispy, outer coating(Pazham Pori).
- Serve hot with coffee, milk, and tea.
- It is also a preferred snack of Coimbatore people.
- A traditional dish of Andhra Pradesh.
- Popularly known as Gongkura chutney or Gongkura Pachadi.
- In a hot pan, lightly fry red chillies, mustard seeds, garlic, cumin seeds, Gongkura leaves, and curry leaves in oil.
- Bring it to normal room temperature.
- Use a mixie and grind it to make chutney.
- Served with Idly, dosa, and rice.
“Wake Up!! Its food o clock!!
Cook any one of these south Indian dishes and enjoy it with your family.
Hope this content is useful.